Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Things that Inspire Me

*  *  *


I don't know how other authors and writers feel, but for me, a story can be sparked by just about anything I see, feel, hear, or do.  Sometimes it can be the oddest thing that provides the first concept of a novel or fairy tale.  For instance, the titular novella in my upcoming  short-story collection, The Madman of Elkriahl, first began to take form when I was playing around with random syllables, and that weird looking word came out.  
And my first book, Quest for the Ivory Sword, was inspired by a dead stick.  
That doesn't really sound glamorous when I say it that way....
How about- "it was inspired by a diminutive and slender tree branch that had long ago expired"?

As you can see, inspiration for me can really come from anything at all.  (Of course, God is the ultimate source of inspiration:  who else made the sticks or the syllables, eh?)  
But anyway, the following is a list of specific things that continue to inspire me every time I encounter them.  Maybe these will inspire you too!  Let me know what you think in the comments, and be sure to tell me about what inspires you.  I'd love to hear about it!

*  *  *

Train Tracks



Cottonwood Seeds on the Wind


Light through a Leafy Canopy

Image result for leafy forest public domain


A Path that Bends out of Sight


Pine Trees on a Hill


Wide, Rolling Plains




Crows



Cold Autumn Days

Image result for october trees public domain

Spring Fog


Faces





Songs by Sting




Songs by Thomas Newman



Blank Books



Dancers


*  *  *


-Emmarayn Reddng


(Images taken from the public domain.  Songs uploaded from You Tube.  All credit for these works goes to their respective copyright owners.)


4 comments:

  1. 'Inspired by a dead stick'- I love that!
    I'm also inspired by some visual things, such as train tracks and light through the leaves. But for the most part I think I'm inspired by music, art, and simply letting my mind wander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letting your mind wander is one of the best forms of inspiration. :)

      Delete
  2. You're so right! Inspiration can come from anywhere! I get lots of ideas just from living my normal life. I think that train tracks and fog are some inspiring things, too!;)
    -Emma-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normal life is packed full of inspiring things, even in an uneventful life. Great minds think alike! :) And in this case are named alike too, apparently! Haha. ;D

      Delete