Sunday, September 15, 2013

Top Six Favorite Villain Songs

*  *  *

I love the part in the movie/musical when the story moves away from the heroes for a moment.... and we descend into the depths of the Antagonist's lair.  Here, they are either revealing their plan to their minions, or hatching some devious new plot.  Or perhaps they are engaged in a reflective monologue, looking into the depths of their own soul.  Maybe they're just rejoicing in how evil they are.
Whatever their doing, the Villain gets their one moment of being the star as they break out in a wonderfully devious song, showing the audience just what they're capable of.

I love it.  

If I ever played a villain, I'd want a villain song.  XD

And so, without further delay, I give you my list of favorite villain songs.  Enjoy!

*  *  *

#1: Hellfire
Movie:  The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Villain:  Claude Frollo

Comments:  Claude Frollo is like the Pharisees from Jesus's day.... only he's in Fifteenth Century France.  (I think that's the right time period... if it's not, correct me, please. ;)
Not only that, but he's completely delusional, and apparently suffers from severe paranoia, hallucinations, and xenophobia.  This song is where it all comes to light.



#2:  No Good Deed
Musical:  Wicked
Character:  Elphaba

Notes:  Elphaba isn't really a villain at this point, but this is where she makes the decision to become one.  It's heartbreaking, really.  Seeing the origin story of the Wicked Witch of the West makes you see The Wizard of Oz in a whole new light.
(I apologize that I could not use footage from the actual musical, but all of those were of very poor quality.)




#3:  Brand New Day
Movie:  Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog
Villain:  Doctor Horrible

Notes:  I did not use the original video of this song;  instead I have opted to use a version in which Dr. Horrible is replaced by Amon, from Legend of Korra.   Partly because I like Amon as a villain, and partly because some of the things from the musical Dr. Horrible are not so great.  Thus you will hear the song as sung by the infamous Amon, leader of the Equalists.   :)



#4:  MINE
Movie:  Elmo in Grouchland
Villain:  Huxley

Notes:  Despite the fact that it was meant for little kids, this movie actually had a really good villain, played by Mandy Patinken (otherwise known as Inigo Montoya).  And he has one of the best songs.  ;D



#5:  Mother Knows Best
Movie:  Tangled
Villain:  Mother Gothel

Notes:  Catchiest song... ever.  



#6:  How Could I Refuse?
Movie:  Barbie in The Princess and the Pauper
Villain:  Preminger

Notes:  Barbie movies are usually all the same, but I really did like this song, and this villain.  Especially when I was a kid.  :)
(Once again, I couldn't find actual footage of the movie that was good quality.  So I included a picture of Preminger to go with the video.)

*  *  *

Well, I hope you've enjoyed these villain songs.  If you know any other good ones, be sure to tell me about them!

-Rayne Speryll

(Disclaimer:  I own none of these songs, nor the videos that go with them.  All credit goes to their respective owners.)

11 comments:

  1. Barbie Princess and the Pauper was my favorite ever when I was little! Oh, the nostalgia...

    Mother Knows Best is probably one of my favorite songs ever. Villain or not. It's sooooo catchy. And in my key. Lol.

    J. Liessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fun. I would love to perform that song someday. XD

      Delete
  2. Oh my pumpernickel. I used to love Barbie Princess and the Pauper- all the Barbie princess movies, actually. And our copy of Princess and the Pauper had a cd with the songs on it; I think I actually still have them on my iPod. O_o

    Mother Knows Best is awesome too. One of the best Disney songs ever, IMO. Oh, and that song from Hunchback of Notre Dame is creepy . . . that guy is evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that movie too. It's the best of the Barbie movies, in my opinion. :D Ours had a CD too.
      Mother Knows Best gets stuck in my head regularly. Sometimes I sing it to my siblings, inserting my own name instead of "Mother". XD

      Hellfire from the Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of the creepiest villain songs EVER! I love it. Frollo really is evil.

      Delete
    2. I liked the 3 Musketeers movie just a little better . . . but Princess and the Pauper was definitely up there.
      LOL. You must be fun to have as a sibling.

      I can definitely tell.

      Delete
  3. Tangled Song:

    My mother keeps singing this one. Lol.

    -Jason L

    ReplyDelete
  4. My little sisters watch Barbie in The Princess and the Pauper and I act out Preminger's dance, mouthing the words. :) I like that song.

    The Tangled song is the only other one I know, and I like that one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Hellfire" is such a terrifying song! And yes, "Mother Knows Best" is pretty catchy. Mother Gothel is such a great villain! :D

    ReplyDelete