Thursday, April 16, 2015

Weekly What-If: Fandoms!

*  *  *

As sort of a new tradition, I've decided to do a "What If?" post every week.  (Did I say weekly?  Oh dear.  We'll see how long that resolution holds strong!)
Basically, I'll just post one of the many "what if" questions I have, and we can discuss it.  Maybe I'll put up poles sometimes so we can vote on certain discussions.  Other times, it will be simple story concepts which I have no intention of ever using in a novel.  So, having explained the idea, I give you the very first... WHAT IF...

*  *  *

What if all the fans from the current popular fandoms- that is, Doctor Who, Sherlock, LOTR, Star Wars, Star Trek, Merlin, and other such shows and books- were transported into a fantasy world, completely uninhabited by any other intelligent species.  The Fandoms would then form into groups according to their interests and begin to set up their own kingdoms- perhaps based on the fictional worlds they loved so much.
Maybe the people who were members of more than one fandom would join to form the Mixed-Fandom Nation, perhaps even causing a war between all the other fandoms...
Picture it:  The Sherlockians vs the Whovians, the LOTR Junkies allied with the Merlinians against the Trekkies and Star Warriors.

If you were caught up in such a war, what would you do?

WHAT IF??

 *  *  *


4 comments:

  1. If I were caught up in such a war....
    I would gather a select few of trusted and talented people. We will form a 'secret army', apart from any fandom, and cause havoc everywhere (while cleverly doing it all without bloodshed)! We would do it in such a way that the fandoms would realize their need to unite to fight against us. Of course we would have to stage a dramatic battle and pretend defeat, but that could be easily done. After that we would live a peaceful (yet secretive) life among the fandoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, my friend, is brilliant. You can count me in!

      Delete
  2. First off: I'm in waaaay too many fandoms, so before the battle, I'd be a sort of wandering person, traveling from one fandom kingdom to another and chronicling any new adventures I came across.

    Second off: I would stay out of the battle as much as possible (except to battle the Twilight fandom, if it was represented). Then, once everyone had the fighting temporarily out of their systems, I'd make a suggestion: you know, we're all fangirls and fanguys. Some of us even share fandoms. Why are we fighting so much? Then I'd make several other suggestions, leading up to the formation of the United Fandom Kingdoms, ruled primarily by a Council of three members from each fandom to be elected every so many years. Once the Council and other aspects of the government were running smoothly, I would quietly slip out of the spotlight and go back to my former life of wandering through the fandoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's also a great plan. I think I'd be a wanderer like you, though my true 'home' would be in the LOTR kingdom.

      For my self, I after trying to stop the war, I would gather up a group of mixed fandom people like myself and start a new nation. :)

      Delete