Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Review: The Amazing Spider-Man

*  *  *


When high-school student Peter Parker discovers an old briefcase that reveals a new depth to the story of his parents' deaths, he goes to the one man who may be able to tell him the truth about the whole incident; Dr. Curt Connors.  
While there, Peter is bitten by a genetically modified spider- and instantly his life is changed forever.  He develops spider-like powers, and resolves to use his new talents to become a super hero.  His new name: Spider-Man.
However, his first true challenge comes when Dr. Connors tests a cross-species genetics serum on himself-- and winds up turning into a ferocious reptilian monster known as The Lizard.  It is up to Peter to stop him before the rest of New York City is transformed into these hideous beasts, and humanity is lost forever.

As a devoted fan of the old trilogy,  I was excited to see this new take on Spider-Man, if only to see if it compared.  And, much to my enjoyment, it did!  
This new movie is great.  It gives us a fresh new take on all the characters- although some of them, such as Mary Jane and J. Jonah Jamison, are missing.  The story is well done, the fight scenes exciting, and the science (although fictional) fascinating.  This new Peter Parker is hilarious to watch, as well as being a wonderful hero.
This adaption is very different from the Spider-Man Trilogy, so much so, in fact, that I can appreciate them as two different stories.  However, if you were to ask me which one I preferred... I can't say that I do prefer one over the other.  They are two completely separate works.  Although I will say this:  a lot of people mock the original Spider-Man (Toby McGuire) for being too emotional- a crybaby.  But the new Spider-Man (Andrew Garfield), is just as emotional, just in a different way.  He is darker, and more broody than the original. His facial expressions are spazzy, and he is almost unbearably  awkward at times.  I guess it's just something you have to choose... do you want a hero who cries sometimes, and occasionally looks like he's going to sneeze, or do you want a hero who scowls like Anakin Skywalker and fumbles awkwardly in front of girls.  Personally, I like them both for who they are.  :)

The movie has one or two swear words, superhero action and violence, and one particular character is shot hundreds of times by multiple machine guns (the wounds are not shown).  One man is impaled on the claws of The Lizard, and the later character's arm is shown crumbling away in a disturbing manner.  There is a bit of romance thrown in with the rest of the plot; some passionate kissing, and one shirtless male.

Overall, I thought that The Amazing Spider-Man was a great movie- exciting, fun to watch, and very intriguing.  I am hoping that they decide to do a sequel, as I still have some unanswered questions.  Also, the soundtrack by James Horner added a certain depth to the scenes that just can't be beat.  
Anyway, I want to give a big thanks to my friend Captain, who let me borrow this movie to watch it.  He's also the reason I got to see The Avengers, so thanks for that too.  :)


-Rayne Speryll

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this review, Elethia! The movie sounds cool; now I want to see it!

    ReplyDelete